A recipe for Bulgar Sweet (Lapsi). Follow the simple recipe instructions for Bulgar Sweet (Lapsi) shared by other home cooking experts.
Ingredients1 oz. Corn oil margarine
1 1/4 c. Coarsely ground wheat (bulgur)
1 Tbs. Fennel seeds
1/4 c. Golden raisins, seedless
2 1/4 c. Nonfat milk
1/4 c. Nonfat dry milk powder
1/2 c. Sugar (reduce if preferred)
1 pinch Saffron
1/4 Tsp. Yellow food color
1/2 Tsp. Cardamoms, crushed
1/2 Tsp. Nutmeg, grated
2 Tbs. Almonds, finely sliced
1. In a saucepan, heat margarine and saute wheat and fellen seeds, stirring frequently, until the wheat is light golden brown; about 10 to 15 minutes. Add raisins and cook until the raisins are swollen. Remove saucepan from heat.
2. Carefully add nonfat milk, nonfat milk powder, sugar, saffron, and yellow food color. Stir well, and bring to boil.
3. Reduce heat slightly, cover and cook until almost all the liquid has been absorbed.
4. Add cardamoms, nutmeg, and fold in. Cover and cook on a very low heat for 20 minutes or until the wheat is cooked but still moist. (Add a little water if too dry.)
5. Garnish with almonds and serve. (Can be used as a first course, as a cereal, or as dessert)
Nutrient Analysis (per serving): 181 calories 5.7 g protein 31.1 g carbohydrates 4.3 g total fat 0.7 g saturated fat 1.5 mg cholesterol 75.0 mg sodium From: INDIAN RECIPES FOR A HEALTHY HEART - From the Kitchen of Mrs. Lakhani. Fahil Publ. Company, Los Angeles. 1991. ISBN 0-9630235-0-0 Shared by: Karin Brewer, Cooking Echo, 8/93.